Georgetown, SC

30 April 2015

Left Lealand Oil Marina about 8:15 on the high tide. It made getting into the river pretty easy.

About 20 minutes into the trip we were waked by a Hinkley Motor Yacht called Magic. We then heard boaters all up the ICW yelling at him. It reminded me of the Hinkley called Sapphire that waked us in Florida. Wonder if Hinkley only sells their boats to jerks? Or maybe just jerks in the south?

The rest of the trip was pretty easy. The high point was a pair of dolphins that were leaping out of the water in front of the boat. Not their normal leaps, but full body, tail out of the water jumps. Very, very cool.

During this leg we crossed the 5000 mile mark. I’m pretty excited by this milestone, we’ve come a long way. But it’s also sad, since it means our trip is coming to a close.

We got into our dock with a little bit of extra effort. Gas here was $2.47, our new loop average is $3.87, pretty good! I’ve been trying to go farther between fuel stops, but my average seems to be about 150 gallons, or 75 gallons a side. I’d guess if I’d really worked at it I could be averaging under $3.50, but since I was thinking $6 a gallon, I’m good.

We walked around downtown Georgetown for part of the afternoon. It’s one of the oldest three cities in South Carolina. Lots of old historic buildings, a very pretty downtown. We stopped a Gullah Museum to see what they Gullah were about. They were African slaves that after the Civil War had been granted islands in the south so they were able to keep lots of their original heritage alive.

Lunch was at Big Tuna, out on their rustic dock/porch area. Susan was all over the oyster po’boy, I went with the gumbo. Lots of flavor in both, at a pretty good cost.

Once back from touring down town Susan napped and I worked on the broken bilge pump. Turned out that it was a blown fuse. I put the same size in and it blew again, but the next size up worked. I’m going to guess that the starting current was on the edge for the fuse, giving it some extra to work with let me get it going. I do have a spare pump I can install if this one goes dead. (And more fuses)

We had docktails tonight with the crews of Seahorse, and Roundabout, both boats that we have run across a number of times in the past. New docktails were the crew of Field Trip, loopers from Michigan and the crew of Antares, they were part of the ICW mess leaving Charleston three days ago.

Dinner was at Wild Fish, a tiny little place downtown. Susan went for the “build it burger” and went all onionriffic with raw, fried and grilled onions. I focused on the “build it mac and cheese” going old school with shrimp and bacon. Both were very good. It’s a fun little place, highly recommended.

Back on the boat Susan waited for sunset and blew her conch horn to signify sunset. Not sure who else noticed since there is a steel mill 10 blocks away that had train cars hoot. But it was nice to here it again. She’s done it a few times since we left Tavernier, but she missed the band.

A great sunset tonight and the wind has stopped so it’s dead calm and you can realy see the reflections in the waves. Hope the pictures come out OK.

2 thoughts on “Georgetown, SC

  1. Susan, I have stowed my conch until next winter. I blew it a couple times after returning home. It was chilly, I have no clear view of the sunset, a lone conch can sound forlorn, just gave it up. Hope we can all blow together next winter.

    • Aww.. that sounds so sad :-( I was just thinking I might stand on the bow and blow the conch as we’re coming into our home marina – that should wake them up! Hope to see you next winter, I already miss you all. We ran into Just Us on the way – they are here at our marina again today in North Myrtle Beach.

Comments are closed.